Trap community name

Frank Fock Frank.Fock____t-online.de
Wed Jul 26 19:52:58 CEST 2000

Hello again ;-),

Majdi Abuelbassal wrote:

> I'm trying to send traps using the NotificationOriginator, but the
> notification does not get sent because it try to use the public as a
> community name/user name which is not configured in the usm table. How can I
> change this default trap community name to some other name.

Within the snmpTargetParamsTable (from snmp_target_mib())
you have to set the securityName to a value other than "public".

PLEASE NOTE: There are two ways to configure the
NotficationOriginator class:

1. If you instantiate the snmpCommunityEntry class (normally
done by adding the snmp_community_mib() to your Mib instance)
then the securityName given in the appropriate row in the
snmpTargetParamsTable will be mapped using the local
SnmpEngineID to a community name. If such a entry does not
exists in the snmpCommunityTable, the trap is not sent.
If it exists a v1/v2c trap is sent using that community.

2. If your agent does not instantiate the snmpCommunityTable
the securityName found in the corresponding snmpTargetParamsTable
is used directly as community name. This is a short cut, which
reduces the configuration work, but it is *not* a RFC conform way.

Hope that helps.