Snmp traps and security

Frank Fock frank.fock____marconicomms.com
Tue Mar 14 10:20:48 CET 2000

James Nakamura wrote:
> The code to send traps: I am using the code from the archives to send traps
> and set
> trap targets, are these traps v1 traps (as target code states) or v3? If
> it's not v1,
> how do you send v1 traps?

The traps are sent using v1. You can change the snmpTargetParamsMPModel
to v2c if you like. v3 traps will be supported in AGENT++v3.4.

> How do you set the community in agent++?

For traps? It`s the last parameter of NotificationOriginator::generate(..)

> I'm trying to do gets (using the consoleExample/snmpGet) and am getting
> EACCES -
> Permission denied on the sendto. Does this have to do with v3 security? Our

You cannot send your packet out on the socket? This has nothing to do
with v3 security.

> application and NMS are in their infancy and so most of the SNMP code is at
> v1 or v2 level. Basically, security is assumed to be nothing for now. How
> can
> I get past this problem and shut off as much security (with the exception of
> community)
> as possible? I've used the atm code as a template for all of the v3 code.

Difficult to describe in a few sentences. The best advise may be to play
around with the settings from the ATM example. It is not that difficult
when you have seen how the differnent entries work together.

Frank Fock                     Marconi Communications Software Systems
<frank.fock at marconicomms.com>  Blumenstrasse 22-24,
Phone: +49 7191 13-4851        71522 Backnang,
Fax:   +49 7191 13-2502        Germany