get request performance for large mib tables

Frank Fock frank.fock____marconicomms.com
Wed May 10 11:07:07 CEST 2000

Guy.HINDELL____opentrade.co.uk wrote:

> > One of the tables of my mib has 5 columns and can potentially grow to
> > several thousand rows. When I walk the table (using snmpwalk from the
> > ucd-snmp package) from a different machine, the resonse time for each
> > column value steadily increases until the end of the column is reached.
> > Then the speed recovers for the next column but then deteriorates again.
> >
> > I should mention that this is an NT extension agent based on the 2.13b
> > code base, and I haven't tried this with the v3 code.
> >
> > Is this because of the time it takes to find a given oid? Any comments?

The v2.13 code had not been optimized for large tables. Try the v3 code
and you will see a better performance, which is almost constant
across the whole tables.

Frank Fock                     Marconi Communications Software Systems
<frank.fock at marconicomms.com>  Blumenstrasse 22-24,
Phone: +49 7191 13-4851        71522 Backnang,
Fax:   +49 7191 13-2502        Germany