Thoughts to migrate to AgentX...

Arie Trost ariet____genesyslab.com
Wed Nov 8 20:39:38 CET 2000

Hi,

I am trying to evaluate how difficult it would be to migrate from our
existing SNMP infrastructure to AGENT++ and AgentX.
Currently, we are using a commercial SNMP toolkit to build our master agent
and sub agent (which are not
AgentX compliant of course).  The master agent is available as a binary. The
process of building the sub agent is
quite trivial (automatic) with these tools. The programmers need to deal
with the management instrumentation only:

   We define a MIB module, compile it and generate a C code that is used by
the run-time library, which is part of the toolkit.
   The generated C code contains access methods to the management
information, this includes GET, SET,
   GET-NEXT functions for each of the MIB objects in a MIB file, the
function are called by the run-time library.

A few questions regarding this (apologise if some of this has been discussed
already or if the questions are too general).

1. Does AGENT++/AgentX++ provides similar segregation between dispatch table
and management instrumentation?

2. Should my code invoke the method routines (get, set, get-next) or they
are invoked by AGENT++ ?

3. When implementing a sub-agent, whose classes call the method routines
AGENT++'s or AgentX++'s?

4. Is there an example showing how to implement an AgentX sub-agent using
AgentGen? (The AgentGen documentation
    gives only a few details about what is exactly generated by the mib
compiler and how it's to be used by AGENT++/AgentX++).

Thank you so much,
Arie.

Arie Trost
Sr. Software Engineer
Genesys Telecommunication Laboratories, Inc.
 An Alcatel Company
1155 Market St.
San Francisco, CA 94103
Tel:  415 913 1489