traps proxied through Solaris snmpdx

Simpson, Gary Gary.Simpson____tfeurope.com
Fri Apr 6 09:04:05 CEST 2001

Hello,

I haven't managed to send a trap through the snmpdx master agent.  The way I
have got around this is to have the subagent send the traps directly to the
managers without going through the master agent.  This means that the
subagent has to know what managers there are as well as the master agent.

I have tried to send traps to the port that the snmpdx listens on for trap
requests from agents developed using the Solstice Enterprise Agents toolkit.
However, this doesn't seem to work with other agents.  The port is
dynamically set by the master agent every time it runs, so the subagents can
get this port through SNMP on the local machine with a get on
1.3.6.1.4.1.42.2.15.4.0.  However, I didn't have much luck with this so I
don't know whether the subagent has to register in some way with the master
agent first.

If you find out how to send traps properly through the master agent then I
would be grateful if you let me know.  As at the moment we are using a
seperate configuration file for the subagent.

To configure the snmpdx master agent to send traps to your managers (e.g.
when the agent starts up), you just need to set the following entries in the
/etc/snmp/conf/snmpd.conf file:

trap	<list of managers>
trap-community public
managers <list of managers>