Question on traps and dialup

Ram Krishnaswamy RKrishnaswamy____pathfire.com
Thu Aug 9 13:23:22 CEST 2001

 Hello Frank and all,

I am trying to come up with the best possible solution to a problem I am
facing in our networked environment where we will be deploying agent written
using agent++ on Windows NT.

Our network to customer sites consists of a satellite going forward and a
dialup coming back. There is no problem for the responses to come back if
the dialup is connected (back to our central site). But the dialup may not
always be up. Moreover, we are trying to use the proxy forwarder to send
traps from various other snmp agents running on the customer network through
the agent.

Given this situation, the only way I can think of is to modify agent++ code
to check whether the connection is up and then send the trap. If the
connection is not up then I have to buffer all the traps until I bring it up
using RAS (since it is NT) and then send the traps that have been buffered.

Do you have any other ideas or suggestions? Offcourse, we cannot change the
way we monitor our customer sites today because of various reasons.
Hopefully, that will change in the future to one that has a dedicated
connection.

Thanks for your input.

Ram