Question on timeout of masteragent in agentx++

Frank Fock Frank.Fock____t-online.de
Fri Aug 10 00:52:06 CEST 2001

Hi Ansgar,

Please find my answers inline:

ansgar.springub____philips.com wrote:

> Hi Frank and all,
>
> I am using the agentx++ in our project and got the following problem,

snip

> I checked the origin of the error and noticed, that the timeout between the masteragent and the subagent causes the problem.

Then the subagent should register its regions with a non-default timeout value.

> So I tried a hack in  agentx++\src\agentx_master.cpp and set the timeout value fix to 20 sec.
>
> in
> void MasterAgentXMib::process_agentx()
> instead of
>      if ((t = timeout_requests(t)) == 0) {
>           timeout = new timeval;
>           timeout->tv_sec = 5;
>           timeout->tv_usec = 0;
>      }
>      else {
>           timeout = new timeval;
>           timeout->tv_sec = t;
>           timeout->tv_usec = 0;
>      }
> use now
>      timeout = new timeval;
>      timeout->tv_sec = 20;
>      timeout->tv_usec = 0;
>
> This solved my problem.

This is not a real solution, but it will work too.

> My questions are:
>
> 1) Do you think this could cause any other problems or sideeffects?

Yes, other regions that might not be affected by heavy load situations
will also have a long timeout.

> 2) Is there any other way to change the timeout (i.e. by parameter) of the masteragent?

Yes, you can set the timeout value for each region you are registering
by the subagent. Additionally, the subagent uses a session timeout value
which is used when no region timeout vaule is set.