A suggestion for agent++

Alex Finogenov afinogenov____malibunet.com
Sat Aug 11 22:37:48 CEST 2001

Frank,

Using agent++, it seems impossible to set an error different than the agent
wants to set during some stages of the request processing. For example, I do
not see a way to set the GenError from the client's implementation of
MibTable::update(). I feel that when the system experiences a persistence or
network error while retrieving objects to populate a table before the
agent++ continues its processing of the request, GenError is more
appropriate than NoSuchInstance or NoSuchObject. A similar case can be made
when a request is going through MibTable::commit_set_request(): on certain
occasions I would like to through ResourceUnavailable, etc. rather than
simply CommitFail or UndoFail.

Unless there is an easy way around it that you can recommend, I suggest that
in the future you allow the client code to set an error, preferably from a
valid subset of errors appropriate for each stage.

Does this make sense?

Thanks,
Alex