Question about NotificationOriginator

Alex Finogenov afinogenov____malibunet.com
Thu Dec 13 21:12:52 CET 2001

Hi,

How does one use NotificationOriginator and the files instrumented with
agentgen from a MIB to generate V2?

I have developed a stable SNMPv2 agent and prefer not to upgrade the
libraries at this time. Currently I am using agent++/snmp++ released late
summer of 2001 (notification_originator.h and .cpp files are dated Jul 20
2001). It seems like NotificationOriginator will generate only SNMPv1 traps
(my experiments prove this).

1. Should I upgrade the Agent++ code to be able to issue SNMPv2 traps, i.e.
is the implementation of NotificationOriginator different in the subsequent
releases?

2. Should I compile what I have (or an upgraded release of Agent++, if I
must) with _SNMPv3 defined to have SNMPv2 traps? If so, do I have to rebuild
the entire library with this flag, or just this file would do (I think I
know the answer to this question :)) ?

So far the notification part of my agent works well issuing SNMPv1 traps. I
hope there is an easy way to make it send SNMPv2 traps instead.

Thanks,
Alex