Need a design suggestion.

Jochen Katz katz____agentpp.com
Sat Dec 15 01:14:52 CET 2001

Hi,

>  In another scenario, I
> listen for traps and send from the same instance of the application,
> and again the target is the localhost.  Under this scenario the
> application freezes. Now, I know this problem is probably a windows
> message queue problem! But, has anyone had a similar experience? and
> if so, how would I go about solving it?

if I understood everything right, in this case your application uses one
SNMP session that is used to send a message to itself. How does the
application freeze? Does it just not receive the trap, or does it block?

>     Also, once I started trouble-shooting this problem I really
> started to noticed how messy my snmp session handling had gotten. From
> looking at the old HP SNMP++ Browser application (from an different
> distribution of the library I have), I noticed that they used seperate
> modless dialogs that manage individual session. Is it better to create
> a session for every snmp command you execute? or, is it o.k. to reuse
> a global session for all commands?

Soome people don't like to have "global" objects, so these would use
multiple sessions. But if you want that all outgoing requests/traps have
the same source port, you will have to use only one session. From the
point of ressource usage it is better to use only one session, instead
of creating and deleting them continuously. (I listet only some points,
but you will have to decide ;-)

Kind regards,