Request/responses with proxy forwarder

Jochen Katz katz____agentpp.com
Sat Dec 15 01:15:15 CET 2001

Hi,

actually I was unable to understand the complete scenario from the
textual description. Maybe a small ASCII graphic with node names could
help.

> One solution that I was thinking of was to let SNMP++ code know that the
> request is for a proxy agent (thereby bypassing back-channel manager). But
> the question I have is what happens to the response from the proxy agent?
> How do I differentiate between proxy agent request/response versus sending
> the response to back-channel manager? If this is possible, how can this be
> done? Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

The first thing I see is a list of source IP-addresses that could be
used to decide if the response should be sent back or forwarded to the
back-channel. A different solution could be an extension of the
Pdu/Target/Address class. An additional flag indicates that the
back-channel should be bypassed. You would then have to modify agent++
to set this flag for proxied requests.

Kind regards,