Proxy forwarder question

Ram Krishnaswamy RKrishnaswamy____pathfire.com
Fri Feb 23 20:30:09 CET 2001

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your response. I did go and buy the book that you recommended and
it has helped immensely in some ways. But I am still confused since there
are three tables to configure and hope you or somebody can help me out.

>From what I have read so far, seems that I should be able to send a snmpv3
request from a manager entity (10.10.13.78) to an agent entity (which has
the proxy forwarder and its ip address = 10.10.9.2) so that the request gets
forwarded as a SNMPv1 request to the target address 10.10.13.103.   If I
cannot do this, then what I have tried so far would not work. I understand
this although the documentation and book says that the message processing
subsystem should convert between versions.

So I setup the table entries as given below. I initially set the
targetParamTableentry to support SNMPv1. But it did not work as I saw in
proxy_forwarder.cpp file. So I matched the versions and had it as SNMPv3.
The proxy forwarder sends it but times out. Obviously, since the
10.10.13.103 box talks only SNMPv1.

What am I missing here or what have I done wrong? Thanks.

I have the following entries in the three tables:

snmpProxyTable
--------------

Instance: proxy
snmpProxyName(IDX, IMP): not avaliable
snmpProxyType: read(1)
snmpProxyContextEngineID: dell4400
snmpProxyContextName: dellserv
snmpProxyTargetParamsIn: defaultV1Request
snmpProxySingleTargetOut: dellbox
snmpProxyMultipleTargetOut:
snmpProxyStorageType: nonVolatile(3)
snmpProxyRowStatus: active(1)

snmpTargetParamsTable:
----------------------

Instance: defaultV1Request
snmpTargetParamsName(IDX, IMP): not available
snmpTargetParamsMPModel: 0
snmpTargetParamsSecurityModel: 1
snmpTargetParamsSecurityName: MD5DES
snmpTargetParamsSecurityLevel: noAuthNoPriv(1)
snmpTargetParamsStorageType: nonVolatile(3)
snmpTargetParamsRowStatus: active(1)

snmpTargetAddrTable:

Instance: dellbox
snmpTargetAddrName(IDX, IMP): not available
snmpTargetAddrTDomain: snmpV2.1.1 (UDP)
snmpTargetAddrTAddress: 0A.0A.0D.67.00.A1 translates to 10.10.13.103/161
snmpTargetAddrTimeout: 1500
snmpTargetAddrRetryCount: 3
snmpTargetAddrTagList: v1request
snmpTargetAddrParams: defaultV1Request
snmpTargetAddrStorageType: nonVolatile(3)
snmpTargetAddrRowStatus: active(1)