Questions

Alex Finogenov afinogenov____malibunet.com
Sun Jul 22 21:26:26 CEST 2001

Hi,

1. As I reported in my previous message a few days ago, I have found that a
SET request from AdventNet's MibBrowser with a RowStatus=6 (delete) on a
table with READCREATE succeeds even when there is no row in the table.

I got around this problem by overloading MibTable::prepare_set_request() in
my stateless table class, trapping the problem in it, and returning
SNMP_ERROR_INCONSIS_NAME. Otherwise the method calls
MibTable::prepare_set_request() and returns its status.

2. Using AdventNet's MIB Browser (I used two versions, including the latest
beta, I send a multi-varbind GET containing a few valid indexes and one
non-existent index. The Browser reports a failure on the entire PDU, and I
believe that this is wrong: SNMPv2 dictates to not fail the entire request,
but report error codes only for the failed varbinds and normal results for
the rest.

I followed Agent++ with a debugger and have not found anything wrong with
it. Unfortunately I don't have time to dig this further, but I have to know
what is the culprit. Can anybody try this case with some other SNMP tools
and let me know?

3. I also have found that AdventNet's MIB Browser's Table Viewer does not
send an index value in the PDU. This causes MibTable::check_creation(), that
is called from MibTable::prepare_set_request(), reject the PDU on the
grounds of not enough values provided (i.e. number of varbinds in the
request < size of the table row.)
When the same row is created through a multi-varbind SET without using the
table viewer, everything works fine.

I remember reading something about deriving implied table index value from
the OIDs, but neither remember anything about it, not I can find any word
about it in either RFC 1442 (SMIv2) or RFC 1443 (Textual Convention for
Version 2).

Thanks,
Alex