SNMP and Unicode?

christel.sohnemann____philips.com christel.sohnemann____philips.com
Tue May 8 09:58:03 CEST 2001

Hello,
I am just wondering if SNMP is able to transport Unicode strings?
So for example, if I have a SNMP Agent Application, which works with ASCII strings and there is  - let's say - a SNMP Management Application with chinese fonts (UTF8 for example), what happens to the transported strings?
More precisely: can the SNMP Agent send UTF8 strings or does SNMP only transport ASCII strings?
And if it would be possible to send UTF8 strings by the SNMP Agent and the SNMP Manager only processes ASCII strings, what happens then?

Thank you for your cooperation!
Best regards,
Christel Sohnemann

Christel Sohnemann
Software Development
Philips Speech Processing Aachen, Zweigniederlassung der Philips GmbH
Kackertstr. 10, 52072 Aachen, Germany
mailTo: christel.sohnemann____philips.com
Tel:    +49 - (0)241 - 8871 191,    Fax: +49 - (0)241 - 8871 140
http://www.speech.philips.com/