snmpRowStatus and row Addition

Frank Fock Frank.Fock____t-online.de
Mon May 28 20:02:41 CEST 2001

Hi Niraj,

Niraj Mansingka wrote:

> If i add a row in a table with snmpRowStatus as createAndWait and then try to modify the table row from another manager it allows the same.

That's how SNMP works, any manager can modify any value it has access to, no matter
if the manager created that instance or not.

> How dow we then keep the rows in a non-active state so that other managers are not able to change the values?

The RowStatus state will not prevent another manager from changing
any values. You may prevent / detect intervening access to a table
if there is a SpinLock object defined for that table. Then all managers
should first read the value of that object (which will then be increased)
and use that value to SET the SpinLock object at the same time as
the values of the newly created row (For more details see the SpinLock
TC in the SNMPv2-TC MIB). Then a SET will fail if any other manager
SET any values of that table after the SpinLock value has been read.