SNMP++ Get Error, SNMP++: SNMP request timed out

Jochen Katz katz____agentpp.com
Thu Sep 6 11:54:36 CEST 2001

Hi,

> I tried to run the agent under agentgen/agent at my pc.  Question:
> 1.  At my machine, using the command line, can I specify other machine that
> I wanted the agent to be?
> E.g. my machine ip address is 192.168.0.68 and I want the agent to be on
> another device with address192.168.0.85.
>
> 2. If not to question (1), to make it possible, can I modify agent.cpp at
> line 322 into:
>         UdpAddress dest("192.168.0.85/4700");

mabe I didn't understand the question, but here's my answer: you can
bind an agent to a specific interface:
#ifdef SNMP_PP_WITH_UDPADDR
	// bind localhost only -> agent will not be reachable from
	// outside
	// UdpAddress inaddr("127.0.0.1");
	UdpAddress inaddr("0.0.0.0");
	inaddr.set_port(port);
	Snmpx snmp(status, inaddr);
#else
	// bind on any address on local host
	Snmpx snmp(status, port);
#endif

> 3. Can you please explain the following output from agent:
>         usmGetUser: get user (initial) engineID (  80 00 13 70 05 53 69 61
> 6E 67 4C 69 12 5C          ...p.SiangLi.\)
>     Why the engineID contains both the bytes staff and text staff?  What
> should I be?

The engineID is computed from the hostname and is printed out (in this
case) two times using hex and printable characters.

> After running agent (without any parameters), I run the "snmpGet
> 192.168.0.68 -v3" in another dos window.  But I get:
>         SNMP++ Get Error, SNMP++: SNMP request timed out
> May I know what's wrong?

snmpGet sends its request to port 161 while the agent listens on port
4700...

Kind regards,