Handling XML in SNMP

Frank Fock Frank.Fock____t-online.de
Thu Apr 25 09:09:34 CEST 2002

Hello Al,

XML seems to be a real hype ;-) Of course, you may send
a XML string as an OCTET STRING. But IMHO it would
not be useful. XML is very expressive and OCTET STRINGs
cannot be longer than 64K and should be much shorter in
practice to avoid UDP packet segmentation (which itself
increases probability of packet loss).

Without a DTD or schema, XML is not any useful. So why
not writing a MIB module definition instead? A SMI
specification can then be used by HP OpenView, MIB Explorer
or any other manager to visualize the MIB data.

--
Frank Fock - AGENT++
Email: fock____agentpp.com