a question about building an SNMP agent for both Win and Linux OS's

Ram Krishnaswamy RKrishnaswamy____pathfire.com
Fri Jan 25 21:29:55 CET 2002

Hello Ziv,

We have a similar environment and the way we handled it was to build an
agent that is configurable irrespective of the OS. So on startup, the agent
will read this configuration file and figure out which OS it is going to run
and what kind of dependencies it will have for the OS. We did not use AgentX
but I don't think it matters.

HTH.

Good luck.

Ram

-----Original Message-----
From: Ziv Gillat [mailto:zgillat____iready.com]
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2002 2:53 PM
To: 'agentpp-dl____fock.de'
Subject: a question about building an SNMP agent for both Win and Linux OS's

Hi,

I'm a developer, working for a small start-up. One of my tasks is to make
sure that the NIC that we're building, will handle SNMP. It's more then a
NIC, but for now, lets assume that it's functionally, just like a NIC. The
NIC will be installed on both Linux and Windows machines, and we're building
drivers for it, for both platforms. I'm familiar with SNMP agents, and we
already know the architecture that is necessary. The question is -- can we
use AgentX to help us in the creation of the Agent?

In windows, the agent that we develop will have to be a sub-agent of the
already-existing master agent, that is included in Win2K, WinXP, etc.

In Linux, the existing SNMP agent runs in kernel space, because it needs
root privileges. The agent that we develop will need to be the Master-Agent,
and the Linux existing agent, will become a sub-agent.

The driver that we're building is running in kernel-mode, so communication
to it, from user-space will be done through IOCTL's.

We would love to create the agent once, so that we will only need to tie in
the IOCTL's to the drivers. This will minimize the amount of work needed to
effectively create 2 agents, one for each OS.

Thanks ---

Ziv.