Agent++, MSVC, and namespaces

Paul Kapp notrump____mac.com
Tue Mar 26 23:25:03 CET 2002

(This was originally posted to comp.protocols.snmp, but this list appears
to be a better target audience)

Hello,

I have been working with the SNMP++/Agent++/AgentX++ source for a while,
and have build libraries and examples under both Linux (very smooth),
and Windows (static libs only, for now).  Everything works out great for
the examples, as well as some additional personal test programs, but now
that I want to implement an AgentX subagent with existing code, I now
have big problems.

I get link problems, because our existing code uses our own thread
abstraction class named Thread (how original), which conflicts with the
Thread class used within Agent++.  The obvious solution looks to be
nearly there, as the Agent++ source wraps its classes in its own
namespace, but only if compiled under gcc 2.91 (or higher).  When I
attempt to explicitly #define AGENTPP_NAMESPACE, the Microsoft compiler
(VC++ 6.0/Win2000) cannot build many Agent++ library components,
complaining about 'end of file' in many header files, as well as other
errors that do not appear if not using AGENTPP_NAMESPACE (although,
according to GCC under Linux, the source is quite sound).

I haven't yet found what the big problem is yet, but I assume this is
why AGENTPP_NAMESPACE is only defined for the gcc compiler.  If anyone
else has encountered this type of problem before, I would appreciate any
assistance in getting this cleared up.

Thanks in advance.

Paul.
(notrump at mac.com)