How to send/receive a v1 trap

Jochen Katz katz____agentpp.com
Thu May 2 20:01:48 CEST 2002

Hi,

>     I have tried two experiments with this ( both with trap sender and
> receiver made using SNMP++ ). In both scenerios I set an enterprise oid in
> the pdu.
>
>     In the first scenerio I built the trapid Oid as "enterpriseOid + 0 +
> specific trap". When I called get_printable on this oid from the sender i
> get something like "1.3.6.1.4.1.6161.0.1". But when I call get_printable on
> the receiver I get "1.3.6.1.4.1.6161.1".

so I will add the code to the next release of snmp++ that inserts the .0
when receiving a v1 trap with specific id.

>     In the second scenerio I built the trapid Oid as "0 + specific trap".
> When I called get_printable on this oid from the sender i get something like
> ".0.1". But when I call get_printable on the receiver I get ".0.0.1".

This is not supported by snmp++, as the enterprise id is taken form the
prefix of the trap id if it is of specific type.

>     I notice that all the devices that send SNMP v1 traps that we monitor
> seem to follow the <enterprise oid>.<specific trap> pattern. So, should I
> only look for this pattern, or should I be prepared to search for the
> <enterprise oid>.0.<specefic trap> pattern as well.

Within the snmp pdu on the wire, the <enterprise oid> and <specific
trap> are encoded into seperate fields. The receiving snmp entity
constructs the enterprise and trap oids from these fields. So you should
always receive an id with .0.

Kind regards,