implementing a large table over a database

Dave Mason dmason____transat-tech.com
Thu Oct 3 16:50:57 CEST 2002

Hi all,
I need to implement an alarm log, which will be a child of MibTable,
with rows and columns that will correspond to similar rows and columns
in a database.  The tables I have done before are entirely memory
resident because they don't grow continuously, but the log table will
keep growing.  I dont want to keep all the rows in memory, so does
anybody have a suggestion as to how to have the table object read a row,
update any new values (for a Set) or just return it (for a Get), then
delete the row from memory before moving to the next row?  In a normal
table, the table object creates a row, then the columnar objects are
responsible for getting their values.  In this case, I'd like to operate
on the whole row at once with a select or update statement.  Maybe you
need to to have a MibTableRow method read the row into some temporary
space, and let the columnar objects get their data from there?  Any tips
about that would help a lot.

Also, I'll probably use some public domain database like mysql, which I
havent used before.  Questions about that are beyond the scope of this
list, but any tips on how to integrate it with Agent++ would be very
helpful too.

Regards,
Dave