Notification ID question

Billy Davis billy.davis____onfiber.com
Fri Sep 27 17:52:35 CEST 2002

    I have been using a trap receiver that I wrote using SNMP++ for some
time now. In this receiver I am not actually loading a internal mib tree. I
use an SNMP parser that generates trap filters based on the mib data.
Basically the filters are nothing more than shared libs that register their
functions into a function map in the core program. So when the Trap Receiver
gets a trap it looks up the filter function using the trap's notification
id. Sorry, a long explanation for a simple question.

    On one of the boxes I monitor using this receiver we have a new software
load. The problem is that they have added data to the notification id. For
instance, on a linkUp trap they will tack on the interface id. So instead of
1.3.6.1.6.3.1.1.5.4 I receive 1.3.6.1.6.3.1.1.5.4.1001. I am assuming that
this is a violation of the standards, but I wanted to get some reassurance
before I confront the vendor with this. So have I missed something here? It
wouldn't be the first time. :-)

Thanks,
Billy Davis
bdavis____onfiber.com <mailto:bdavis____onfiber.com>