Regarding MibTable::update()

Frank Fock Frank.Fock____t-online.de
Wed Apr 30 10:05:42 CEST 2003

Hi Cheng,

we had this dicussion on the list a few days ago.
How often the update method is being called depends
on the browser/NMS used. There are inefficient
implementations, but that's nothing unusual.

Addtional comments inline:

Cheng Chaoting wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> I want to use MibTable::update to get data rows from other data
> sources(for instance,database),then flush the instance of mib table
> ,which is in Agent's memory.
>
> When I tested it using AdventNet Mib browser as snmp manager, i found
> that the MibTable::update function was always called multiple times,more
> than once.I guess MibTable::update only needs to be called once.

It is called only once in the best case.

> And,when I send get request to table A,some neighbor tables'
> MibTable::update functions also are called.What is the reason?

The agent needs to find the object/table to handle the
search or get request. Which object to choose also depends
on whether a neighbouring table is empty or not.

> Could you please explain?And,any solution?

Please read the mailing list archive too for more
details. There have been also posted some "solutions".