Designing MIBs

Alex Finogenov afino____Malibunetworks.com
Wed Feb 19 20:51:01 CET 2003

Stephane,

In addition to the obviously popular "Understanding SNMP MIBs", I would
recommend to look at the actual MIBs listed in many RFCs
(http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/index.html). You can learn the de facto way of
doing things by browsing the mainstream MIBs, especially their latest
revisions. To get the maximum benefit, do this *after* reading the book.

Just like when studying a system, it is wiser to assume that there may be
some reasons why things are done the way they are done, before coming up
with your own version. Specifically, before introducing a new MIB module,
table or object, try to research how the published MIBs may be reused for
your purpose.

Alex

-----Original Message-----
From: Bourque, Stephane [mailto:stephB____incognito.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 10:24 PM
To: agentpp-dl____agentpp.com
Subject: Designing MIBs

        Hi all:
        We are trying to design some MIBs for our applications. Can anyone
point us to either existing documents, publications or anything
        available on MIB design, tricks, tips, best practices, etc? Being
new at offering SNMP access to our products, we are just wondering
        is you have any good places to start.
        Thanks in advance.