Question about proxy forwarding applications.

Frank Fock Frank.Fock____t-online.de
Mon Mar 17 23:18:16 CET 2003

Hi Paresh,

Please do not post HTML messages to the mailing
list, because with HTML messages the mailing list
archive is much harder to read.

Comments below:

Paresh Borkar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are developing our SNMP agent (supporting v2c and *not* v3) using the
> Agent++ libraries. We would like to have the following capability in our
> SNMP agent: Register certain OIDs with our agent, such that for requests
> for these OIDs, our agent will forward them to another agent running on
> a specified host/port.
>
> Is there support for this in Agent++? In the documentation for Agent++,
> it is mentioned that it has ready to use classes for SNMP-TARGET-MIB and
> these seem to be useful for proxy forwarding.

Yes, AGENT++ comes with a proxy forwarder application
is defined in the SNMPv3 RFCs. The class that implements
it is "ProxyForwarder".

> Please can someone shed some light on proxy forwarding (is it what our
> requirement seems to be?) and send pointers for reading material on this
> aspect. Also, if Agent++ has the necessary support, please let me know
> the classes involved.

You need _SNMPv3 defined, in order to be get the
ProxyForwarder class to be compiled. But you will
not need to use SNMPv3 to talk to the agent in order
to be able to use the proxy forwarder application.
You "simply" will have to configure the SNMP-COMMUNITY-MIB,
the SNMP-PROXY-MIB, and the SNMP-TARGET-MIB properly.

You will find more details in the SNMPv3 RFCs and in the
book "A Pratical Guide to SNMPv3 and Network Management"
by D. Zeltserman.