Question about additional fields in traps.

Paresh Borkar paresh____pspl.co.in
Thu Mar 27 12:34:26 CET 2003

Hi,

RFC 2578 mentions that the OBJECTS clause defines an ordered sequence of
MIB object types for a NOTIFICATION-TYPE. It also mentions that an agent
is allowed to append as many additional objects as it considers useful
to the end of the notification (i.e. objects defined by the OBJECTS
clause).
My question is regarding these additional objects. Do they have to come
from the MIB only? For example is it possible for an agent to send an
error string as an additional object along with the trap?

The generate method in the NotificationOriginator class takes "Vbx *"
i.e. pointer to the variable bindings array. And every variable binding
has to have an OID and value. Thus implying that the value is picked
from some place in the MIB. For example in my case I want to send an
error message (not in the MIB) with the trap, hence do I need to set a
dummy oid along with the message in the variable binding?

Thanks,
Paresh.