Question about additional fields in traps.

Frank Fock Frank.Fock____t-online.de
Thu Mar 27 14:30:45 CET 2003

Hi Henning,

Of course, sending an error description is not
good MIB design in most cases. A better way would be
indeed to define an Counters for each error type and
corresponding OBJECT-TYPE with an OID syntax to
point to the Counters.

This way, the error text could be the description
of the Counter describing the error, but it
has not to be transmitted over the wire.
(And it can be translated for internationalization!)

Many people ask: "I would like to send a string
with my trap, why do I need to write a MIB?".
Sending a string might be simple and generic, but
it is not very useful in real life applications.

So I totally agree with you.