[AGENT++] ASN parse error

Jochen Katz katz at agentpp.com
Thu Nov 6 22:34:36 CET 2003

Hi

> I'm using SNMP++v3.2.7 library to play a role of SNMPv3 manager and I'm
> having a problem with parsing of encrypted inform data (privacy enabled). I
> am not sure if a problem is due to DES decryption error or perhaps the
> problem lies in badly composed inform data. Below is the log that snmp++
> writes to a log file:

> ErrorCode is 0

So the USM returned no error.

> ASN parse error (Wrong Type. Not a string)
>
> mpParseScopedPDU: bad parse of context_name
> mp: Error Parsing scopedPDU!

This shows that at least the header for scopedPDU and the
context_engine_id could be parsed, so a decryption error seems unlikely.
What program/lib do you use to send the inform?

> Does anyone know if this points to an error while decrypting the data or
> something else is at fault ?

Without seeing the decrypted Pdu, I can't say more than I wrote above.
If you can reproduce the error, you can set the debug_level to 30 in
v3.cpp and define _DEBUG and __DEBUG during compilation of snmp++. You
will then get dumps of the decrypted pdu.