[AGENT++] Setting COmmunity String?

Mr. AWD mrawd at excite.com
Thu Aug 5 21:19:23 CEST 2004

Those calls are the correct way to use as long as you are not using SNMPv3. All of the strings for the SNMPv3 are specified through the vacm object. In order to use V1 and V2 requests, there need to be a Group added for each of the framework that has appropriate security model (SecurityModel_v1 and SecurityModel_v2). Then you give each of the group security level with no authentication and no privacy and create appropriate views for the read and write where you specify what can be accessed.

As far as I understand there is only one community string in there that goes for the each of the groups. Rear and write access is done through the selected views.

So, if I want to change that, I need to add new vacm entry in there that would have a different community string, and that would be it! Does this make sense?

Thanks

Fedja

--- On Wed 08/04, OELoo Jerry < oyljerry at hotmail.com > wrote:From: OELoo Jerry [mailto: oyljerry at hotmail.com]To: mrawd at excite.com Cc: AGENTPP at agentpp.orgDate: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 09:33:42 +0800Subject: RE: [AGENT++] Setting COmmunity String?hi Fedja:
i think you can try the function as below to make a test:
requestList->set_read_community()
requestList->set_write_community()
wish to help
Jerry

>I am trying to add dynamically a Community String to the agent at the
start time, so it could be different then the default “public?one. I have a
few questions regarding this task:
>1. I see that snmpCommunityEntry object gets created in the main() but I
fail to see where that “public?string is set. There is a member function
snmp_community_mib->add_public(), but nobody is making a call to it. Is
that the correct behavior or what?
>2. Constructor of the snmp_community_mib objects adds snmpCommunityEntry
objects which creates all of the necessary objects for it (Community Name ,
Community Security Name, Engine ID, Context Name, Tag Value, and Storage
Type), so my guess is that I would need to create my own snmpCommunityEntry
object and initialize it with the new Community String value. Is this the
right approach or I am off the right path?