[AGENT++] snmp++ noob question OFF TOPIC

don radick dradick at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 25 01:28:42 CEST 2004

Jochen,
Thanks for the friendly, and fast advice, but I mis-typed my query
rather than pasting in the source and compiler output, and then
I found the real problem.  It's a truism that you tend to find the problem
after you've shown it publicly!

Here's the class as written:

class SnmpQueryBase : public Snmp
{
private:
    // class- based version of snmp++ snmp_vars
   snmp_version _version;                  // default is v1
   int _retries;                           // default retries is 1
   int _timeout;                           // default is 1 second
   u_short _port;                         // default snmp port is 161
   OctetStr _community;                  // lab community name
   int _status;                            // status code from snmp++
api calls
   Oid _oid;
   Snmp _snmp_session;    // HERE'S THE PROBLEM!!!  no param to Snmp ctor
   Pdu _pdu;                            // protocol data unit
   Vb _vb;                                // varbind struct
public:
    SnmpQueryBase(int &_status);
    virtual ~SnmpQueryBase();

};

Since the header file did not give any errors, I kept looking in the
.cpp file
where I had properly defined Snmp(status) in an initializer

The definition of:                 Snmp _snmp_session;

resulted in an error from gcc:   "no matching function for call to
Snmp::Snmp()"

regards, and apologies for wasted bandwidth.

-Don