[AGENT++] Building Windows and Linux versions...

Mr. AWD mrawd at excite.com
Wed Feb 18 00:07:28 CET 2004

Hi there,

Well, I was fighting this code for several days and I think I will try to find some help elsewhere. I need to build agents that will run on Windows and Linux and share as much code as possible. That is where SNMP++ and Agent++ come in. So, I downloaded bunch of files from the http://www.agentpp.com/, extracted them and try to build. First to try was the Windows build. Found a tool on the Web to transfer VC7 project files to the VC6, since that is what I have to use over here. The structure that was created looked like this:
 +-agent++
 +-agent++win32
 +-agentX++
 +-libdes
 +-snmp++
Each of the folders mentioned above had a project file at the top (agentX had two). All of the project files came from the static side of the tree that came from the VC7 files. So, it looked like this:

- Agent++ had “agent++.dsp”
- Agent++win32 had “agent++win32.dsp”
- AgentX++ had two project files: “agentx++.dsp” and “agentx++win32master.dsp”
- Libdes had “libdes_win32.dsp”
- Snmp++ had “snmp++.dsp”

Now, it took a while to set all the settings in the project files (all of them where part of the “snmp.dsw” that reside at the top folder), and after lots of tries I finally built the “agentx++win32master.exe” for both Debug and Release builds.

First question is about the size of the executable. It comes as 1,036 kb!! Compare to the MS SNMP master agent it is 300 times bigger. Is that normal?

Second question is about the installation on the XP. XP has Windows File Protection (WFP) and there is no way to delete/rename original snmp.exe, because WFP brings it back right away. I tried to set it up as an SNMP++ in the different folder and so and it didn’t work. I can’t even make it to start and always times out. If I start the newly built master application as a console, it brings out lots of the trace messages, but doesn’t accept any GET nor SET requests. The same file works on the Windows 2000 tough. Is there a way to make it run on the XP too?

Third question is about Linux build. I used “make.Linux” with “gmake” and built libdes.a, libsnmp++.a, libagent++.a, and libagentx++.a. I also built their .so counterparts, so after building “master” executable from the \agentX++\examples\master\src, I had to add paths to the “libs”. After that master agent started and looked like the consol output from the exe. Lots of trace messages, but no response to any GET requests for the “system” branch objects of the “mib2”.

So, what is that I am doing wrong here? What I need to do to get response from at least master part of the agent and get system objects to work?

Thanks

Fedja