[AGENT++] Creating Rows in Shared MIB Tables

Frank Fock fock at agentpp.com
Wed Feb 18 21:14:05 CET 2004

Jens,

A very good question! AgentX does not provide any mechanism
for sharing tables with a RowStatus column (thus tables where
rows can be created dynamically via SNMP requests).
There are three possible solutions:

1. The subagents are using preallocated index ranges, but this
requires that the managers know these ranges and the implicit mapping
to subagents (although this could probably extracted from the
AGENTX-MIB).

2. Use contexts as you suggested in your posting. Each subagent uses
its own context. But then you have no longer a shared table. Nevertheless,
there could be built a read-only shared table in the default context.

3. Use an object outside the table to create rows in the table.

I would strongly recommend approach (2). (1) might be useful depending
on the index of the sahred table. (3) is a hack.

May be you can forward your question to the AgentX mailing list.
Dynamic shared tables is probably worth a discussing for the next
AgentX version, isn't it Bob?