[AGENT++] Why have namespace turned off as default?

Andreas Vinsander andreas.vinsander at teligent.se
Wed Mar 17 17:53:49 CET 2004

Andreas Vinsander wrote:
> Henning Eggers wrote:
>
>>> Why are the namespaces turned off by default. I would think namespaces
>>> are a good thing and that the good things should be used by
>>> default... ;-)
>>>

>> It looks to me as if it is not turned off by default but turned off for
>> anything but GNU compilers. The handling of namespaces seems to be
>> different
>> between compilers and the current implementation only works with GNU
>> compilers.
>>

> Uhm... foolish me didn't look in the makefile just on the code which
> requires a define to enable the namespaces
> */me hides in shame*
>
> /Andreas

Just realized why I started complaining about this...
I have to define those macros in my Makefiles to enable the namespaces
for code that is using the libraries.
So I still think the namespaces (good thing (TM)) should be enabled
without having to define any preprocessor macros. And users that cannot
cope with namespaces should have to define a macro to turn them off...

/Andreas