[AGENT++] Proposal: Explicit save of persistent objects via SNMP

Henning Eggers henning.eggers at plath.de
Mon Oct 11 12:01:25 CEST 2004

Hi Frank!

> I like your idea and I have to admit that I regret that it wasn't mine!
;-)
Thanks for the compliment!

> Within the next day(s) I will create a new revision of the
> AGENTPP_CONFIG_MIB with a proposal for the new functions
> you have enumerated.

I have already done this (in another MIB) and could easily move this to the
AGENTPP_CONFIG_MIB. Shall I do this and post it here for discussion?

> As an extension of your ideas I will check if providing a backup config
> directory is also possible.

Do you mean to leave the persistent path readonly and provide an extra
read/write object for the backup path? Sounds good. The action object would
then have to be extended to include saveBackup(4) and restoreBackup(5).

Another extension I played with in my mind was to be able to specify the
MIB-Module or subtree to save to file. There is a list of MibGroup objects
in the Mib class that could be used to select a module. Entering a base oid
for a subtree should be quite simple. But both require some work on the
existing code, I guess.

> I will post the MIB here, and after the communities feedback I will
> implement the instrumentation.

I have already done the implementation of the objects for which I didn't
habe to change the existing code (readonly persistent path, the  TimeStamp
objects, the saveAll operation) which turned out quite straight forward. I
can put that into the config_mib code for you to review.

On the other hand you seemed quite excited to do the stuff yourself (a true
coder! ;-) so I am holding back a little... :-)

Cheers,
Henning