[AGENT++] Proposal: Explicit save of persistent objects via SNMP

Marek Malowidzki maom_onet at poczta.onet.pl
Tue Oct 19 08:55:35 CEST 2004

Sorry for "jumping in" in the middle but I think we would be very interested
in this feature.

> Hi Henning.
>
> I am still thinking about the MIB extension needed to best support
> dynamic configuration storage. First I thought, it could be a valuable
> feature to be able to specify which parts of the agent's MIB to store
> where. But the more I think about it, the more I doubt that this
> is really useful. What do you think?

I think this would be useful. Some parts of a MIB are built dynamically at
startup (for example, on the basis of hardware configuration) and there is
no need to store them. Additionally, some embedded systems have serious disk
space limitations and in this case one has to decide what to store. So, to
go a bit further, it would be valuable to be able to assess disk space
requirements fow a table row (on the basis of a MIB definition).

> Another option would be to schedule configuration storage. Probably,
> storing the configuration each hour or each night could be useful,
> couldn't it?

A few more things to consider:
- human-readable format
- serialization that can survive power failures (e.g., which occur during
serialization)
- an internal API to enforce serialization "at the nearest occasion" (see
below)
- some limit to how often serialization can be done (once again, in case an
embedded system uses a flash disk) - to limit multiple immediate writes that
occur one after another
- (I am not really aware of programming model details of Agent++ so maybe
this is already possible) a callback called on a table at startup after the
table has been completely read from disk (so configuration settings may be
enforced elsewhere)

Marek