[AGENT++] Proposal: Explicit save of persistent objects via SNMP

Henning Eggers henning.eggers at plath.de
Thu Oct 21 11:20:32 CEST 2004

> If there are no objections posted on the mailing list, I will start
> development of the MIB's implementation next week. Neverthelles,
> comments and suggestions are still welcome!

This looks fine to me, I like the table-based approach a lot. Just a few
little things:

The purpose of the permenant entry and the others should be made clearer in
the description for the table. So it should be extended to read (changes are
*marked*):

"...  used to load the agent's configuration
*at boot time*. This entry will have a storage type of
'permanent' and thus it cannot be deleted.
*Other entries may be added to provide for
experimental or backup storage.*"

I also think that changing StoragePath would result in the timestamps
becoming invalid because they refer to the old path. So this behavior should
be described as follows (added to the descriptions of both timestamps):
"Will be reset to 0 if agentppCfgStoragePath is altered for this row."
The StoragePath of the default row cannot be changable, though, because that
would leave us with the classic hen-egg dilemma...

And one more:
What about an "AutosaveOnExit" flag to control the current behavior of
saving the current configuration when the agents exits? Setting it for a row
would result in this storage being written on exit, leaving multiple copies
of the configuration. But I am not sure if this is really useful.

Thanks for the work.

Regards,
Henning