[AGENT++] Traps

Fehde, Marcus Marcus.Fehde at draeger.com
Fri Dec 2 15:43:57 CET 2005

Are you planning to implement a denial of service attack? What is you
definition of a "very high volume"?

You should use traps only for rising alarms and for getting the
attention of a management station (called trap directed polling).
Furthermore Inform-message are critical and can flood a network,
particularly because they have to be acknowledged by the server and
they're re-send if either the request or the response got lost. Even
though Inform-messages can be sent by agents they should be only sent
between management stations.

Regards,
Marcus