[AGENT++] IPv4 vs IPv6 difference?

Fedja Jeleskovic mrawd2 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 00:22:16 CET 2005

Hi guys,

We have a Japanese customer that is interesting in our product and for them we have to convert everything to support IPv6. Since Agent++ supports the IPv6, I believe that I would just need to recompile everything with the SNMP_PP_IPv6 defined and I will have the support.

Now, how this change will affect the specification of the destination IP address that is used for sending of the notifications to the management station? Basically, in snmpTargetAddrEntry->add_entry() object one of the parameters is the destination address which gets entrees as a combination of IPv4 address and UDP port value separated with forward slash. Would there be any changes when users need to add IPv6 address into the same location? From the value itself it should be fine since it is an octet string, but what about the handling below? Would this after being build with SNMP_PP_IPv6 define, work only with IPv6 addresses or it is gona support both IPv4 and IPv6?

Thanks

Fedja Jeleskovic