[AGENT++] RE: AGENTPP Digest, Vol 26, Issue 11

Jochen Katz katz at agentpp.com
Tue Mar 21 23:22:05 CET 2006

Hi,

> I have found that the users in the USM Mib are stored with respect to
> the host name.

are you writing about the class UsmUserTable of agent++? The enties of
this table are localized users. Localization uses the engine id of the
agent and this id is built by default from the hostname.

> Is there any way to store the users without any
> dependency on the host name so that the same USM MIB can be transferred
> to other machine with different host name and the existing users can
> start working from the new machine?

No, SNMPv3 depends on the fact that each SNMP entity (any agent and any
manager,...) has its own _unique_ engine id.

If you added the users through the USM class using passwords, you can
save the users with passwords to a file through USM::save_users() and
load them using USM::load_users(). You can also use
USM::peek_first/next_user() to save the users yourself. If engine id
discovery is enabled, new localized users are created if needed.