[AGENT++] SNMP v3 get performance

Jochen Katz katz at agentpp.com
Tue Mar 21 23:22:27 CET 2006

Hi John,

password_to_key() takes that much CPU because it hashes over a 1MB
buffer that is filled with the repeated password.

> It does look that way, there is an SNMP->engine_id_discovery() function, but

Yes, this was added some time ago to allow easy discovery, but it has
the disadvantages mentioned in the docs: don't do other things with the
Snmp object while calling this function. so I would also recommend the
following:

> perhaps I will send the request the way I am already doing it the first time
> around, discover the engine id off the response, and then after that keep
> the engine id around for use adding localized users for future requests to
> the same device.

But beside the engine id you also have to keep the localized keys, so
you can call the add_localized_user() on later runs.