[AGENT++] trap is sent with success but manager does't receive it?

Jochen Katz katz at agentpp.com
Wed Oct 4 22:49:46 CEST 2006

Hi,

>    iErr = pengine->GetSnmp()->trap( pdu,*target);

> And when I try to use inform instead of trap(.)  I get v3MP: EngineIDTable,
> don't know engine id for host, port.
> I tried changing the version to 1,2, and 3 but now success.

with v1 you should get an error, as inform over SNMPv1 is not defined.
With v2c you won't get anything about engine id.
For v3 the message about unknown engine id is normal for the first call.
snmp++ should try to tend the message 3 times (engine id discovery, time
synchronization and then the inform).

Can you post the complete output, possibly with all log levels raised to 15.

The current release allows sending Informs over SNMPv1. This will be
fixed for the next release, where a SNMP_CLASS_INVALID_OPERATION error
will be returned. There will also be more checks when calling
Snmp::get/set/... with UTarget and version1/2c.

As you didn't send your code for v1/v2: Note that if you use a UTarget
for SNMPv1/v2c, the security name will be used as community and the
security model has to match the requested SNMP version.