[AGENT++] Some MIB questions

johnny at navtek.no johnny at navtek.no
Sun Oct 8 00:09:27 CEST 2006

Hello

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum so if not please guide me in the
correct direction.

I've been given the task of implementing a MIB but appearently it's not
syntactically correct. At least MIB Validation/AgenPro complains a lot.
Most of it is easy to fix INTEGER => Integer32 etc.

Because of this I figured I could try out MIB Designer and build the MIB
from scratch. When comparing the two MIB's I have some questions:
(I've put the old and new MIB file here www.navtek.no/~johnny/snmp)

1. I had to manually edit the MIB file in MIB Designer to let it use
enterprise as the base OID. What's the correct approach to this?

2. In the old file I notice that some entries use DisplayString. Am I
correct that these should be Octet string?

3. I also notice that some entries use a SYNTAX of a predefined enumeration.
eg
someEnum :: = SEQUENCE { Index INTEGER, Name DisplayString }
someType OBJECT-TYPE
  SYNTAX someEnum

When using the MIB Designer I can add the enum directly to the OBJECT-TYPE
(which is fine by me). Any reason for having two ways of doing this, and
is one preferred?

4. In the old file there is one OBJECT-TYPE that has
SYNTAX SEQUENCE of UnitInformation
where
UnitInformation ::= SEQUENCE {....}
How do I deal with that in MIB Designer?

5. What is the purpose of OBJECT-GROUP/NOTIFICATION-GROUP? The designer
complains that my OBJECT-TYPEs should be in a group. Why would I want
that?

6. If you were to recommend one book about SNMP/MIB, which one would you
go for for the casual agent developer?

I'd appreciate any feedback, even if it is 'This is OT!'

best regards
Johnny Ljunggren