[AGENT++] AgentX++ subagent and net-snmp

fock at agentpp.com fock at agentpp.com
Thu Dec 13 14:35:30 CET 2007

Hi John,

The endianess is managed by the AgentX protocol.
The NET-SNMP subagent has several bugs (especially
that old version). See the agentx_def.h file for
hints to activate workarounds.

A big problem is NET-SNMP on 64bit linux,
for example it encodes an IP address as
8 bytes although it should have been four
only (a wrong packet length is the result).

I'm attempting to get an AgentX++ subagent to operate with snmpd on a linux
platform (Montavista-PowerPC).  I've had the AgentX++ subagent operating
successfully with an AgentX++ master agent.  I can see that they appear to be
using a local TCP:705 socket to communicate.

I'm wondering if I have an endian problem when I try to run snmpd instead of
the agentX++ master agent, as I get the maximum packet size error show below,
and snmpd aborts.  The subagent indicates a broken connection to the master
agent....

./snmpd -Le -x 0.0.0.0:705 -Ddump

UCD-SNMP version 4.2.6
dumpx_recv:00 00 00 14
dumpv_recv:  Integer:   335544320 (0x14000000)
Maximum packet size exceeded in a request.

Can the endianness of the AgentX++ sub agent comms be swapped easily to test
this?

Best regards,

John Edmonds