[AGENT++] discovering agent Across network

Frank Fock fock at agentpp.com
Thu Feb 1 20:37:13 CET 2007

Hello Dario,

In a secure network, sending a broadcast request
to 255.255.255.255/161 should not return any response.
Especially because switches and routes will not
forward the broadcast packets into other sub-nets.

Since you cannot ping on a specific port (ICMP works
on the network layer), you can only send a SNMP request
to each address/port where you suspect an agent. Using
routers' ARP tables could help here.