AW: Antwort: [AGENT++] please guide me about the MIB definition andimplemention of a subagent

Eggers, Henning Henning.Eggers at plath.de
Wed Jan 31 09:35:14 CET 2007

> i am implementing a subagent on one device, so many devices
> of this kind(implementing the SAME MIB)
> will connect and register at the same master who reside on a
> software system
> managing these devices centrally. in this MIB, you have
> provided some tables such as
> ipTalbe(for multiple IPs),cpuTalbe(for multiple CPUs) and so
> on. these tables are mentioned
> as the infoTale for demonstration purpose.

This setup will definitely _not_ work!
You cannot have multiple subagents registering the same MIB at the
master agent. Only one of them will be visible (either the first or the
last one that registered, I am not sure).
The only way to have multiple subagents report the same set of objects
(values) is putting them in an overall table (or tables) and have each
subagent register a row. The IP address of the subagent might serve as
an index to this table.

BUT this really is a misuse of the AgentX protocol. It is intended to be
used on one host only, hence there is _no_ authentication what-so-ever
implemented. This is a real recurity hole.
The way to do it is: One SNMP agent for each device on the network,
managing them via SNMP directly.

I am sorry to tell you but currently you are on the wrong track...

Best regards,
Henning