[AGENT++] Select()/FD_SETSIZE issues in the Agent++ implementation

Jochen Katz katz at agentpp.com
Thu Oct 18 22:55:02 CEST 2007

Hello,

> Using select() is potentially error-prone, as on most UNIX systems
> [...]
> So is using select() in Agent++/AgentX++/SNMP++ safe (am I missing

no, if you first  open 2000 files and the initialize snmp++/agent++, you
will get the problems you described.

> something you've done about this issue)? Or will you consider using
> poll() which seems to be the safe choice?

poll looks like a solution. So be prepared for another series of #ifdefs
in the socket code, as win32 does not support poll and seems to have a
select() without the mentioned problems...

Regards.