[AGENT++] snmp++ v3 variable-binding problem

Jochen Katz katz at agentpp.com
Tue Aug 4 20:53:59 CEST 2009

Hi,

>> how many requests and responses do you see in wireshark? The first
>> one will not contain any vbs, as it does not contain the engine id
>> of the agent.
>
> What do you mean that "the first one does not contain the engine id
> of the agent", how could I get the engine id of the agent?

the console examples do not set the egine id with
v3MP::add_to_engine_id_table(), so they rely on engine id discovery
process. If snmp++ does not know the engine id of the agent, it will
send an empty request to trigger an "unknown engine id" report.

> I just run
> the consoleExamples: snmpSet programs with the parameters:
> 100.15.115.1 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0 -v3 -cnContextName -ce800007E580
> -snSecurityName -sl3 -sm3 -authMD5 -privDES -uaMD5DESUerAuthPassword
>  -upMD5DESUserPrivPassword, and in wireshark I see two
> get-request(one retry)with no vbs. I can't get the response because I
> don't send the request to a real agent device, the ip address is an
> arbitrary choice,

If no answer is received, this is the expected result.

> I just want to test the snmpv3 program, is that ok?

Either you have to send the request to any snmpv3 enabled agent, or you
can add the call to v3MP::add_to_engine_id_table(), so no discovery is
needed and the first request will be authenticated and encrypted.