[AGENT++] Multi threaded Process: Dedicated thread for snmp trap

Anurag Jain anuragjain026 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 19 23:43:02 CET 2009

Is it possible create a dedicated thread to receive snmp traps in a multi threaded process ?

Looking at the source of snmp++ 3.2.23 this does not seem possible even if we use the Snmp::start_poll_thread as the
SNMPBlockForResponse (called during get operations from Snmp::snmp_engine) function also calls SNMPProcessEvents -> SNMPProcessPendingEvents that would cause the registered trap callback function to be called
during synchronous snmp gets . We are seeing this behaviour where our snmp get/walk threads are being stepped on by trap callbacks potenitally deadlocking ?

Please advice correct use to ensure dedicated or single purpose  callback thread for trap reception in a multi threaded process where other threads are to be used for
snmp get operations only.

Thanks
Anurag