[AGENT++] Capturing Outgoing SNMP Traffic / PDU Responses for Logging

Jean Li-Kam-Tin jean.li-kam-tin at vega.co.uk
Wed May 20 17:25:04 CEST 2009

Hi everyone,

We have successfully integrated AGENT++ SNMP agents into our distributed
system for SNMP monitoring and control.

One of our secondary requirements is to log all incoming and outgoing
traffic at any agent. One proposed solution was to use Ethereal /
Wireshark but unfortunately this was not accepted by the customer.

I have managed to implement code inside our agents that use exposed
AGENT++ functionality to capture incoming requests. Thus we are able to
log SNMP GET and SNMP GET BULK. And we can log outgoing SNMP TRAP too.

The problem is I cannot see a way of properly capturing the outgoing
SNMP GET RESPONSE or SNMP REPORT PDUs.

I can artificially manufacture the expected SNMP GET RESPONSE for an
individual SNMP GET for our logger (not ideal but it works) but not the
response for an SNMP GET BULK.

Has anyone else had to anything like this ? Or do you know how I can
capture an *out*going SNMP response PDU so I can log it ?

Best regards,

Jean.