[AGENT++] 64-bit system support, 64-bit unsigned long?

Xochitl Lunde Xochitl_Lunde at tripplite.com
Wed Feb 17 21:32:08 CET 2010

I thought that I previously saw some 64-bit changes in one of the Agent
suite change logs.  What 64-bit systems are supported?

I am asking because I ran into a problem with our application that uses
Agent plus plus.  On 64-bit Mac OS, unsigned long types are treated as
64-bits, whereas on 64-bit Windows, they are treated as 32-bits.  My Agent
++ libraries build like a charm in 64-bit Intel Mac OS, and even seem to
be functional without changing the unsigned longs to uint32_t.  Are the
unsigned longs intended to accept a 64-bit long?

I am in the middle of converting all of our software unsigned long
declarations to uint32_t declarations.  (We do a lot of processing with a
32-bit boundary binary data file, so I have to change many of our data
types.) However, there are places in the Agent API that accept unsigned
long data types, so then I have a conversion problem, because I know those
are 64-bit types the way that I compiled the Agent ++.

To get an idea for my project risk, do you forsee a need for me to convert
any types in Agent ++ if the platform's unsigned long is 64-bit?

Thanks,
XO